Brushing: Brushing is an important aspect in Chihuahua grooming. Both long and short coat needs brushing. It is very important to keep the coat of the Chihuahua healthy. Brush your puppy at least once a week and brush in a proper manner means do no skip the areas of legs, tail and lower chest. Long coat needs more brushing about 3 times a week because of long hairs tangles may occur frequently. In order to avoid any tangle, use a canine conditioner to unravel the hair.
Bathing: Give bath to your Chihuahua after every 3 o 4 weeks. Here are some tips to make bath time safe and fun to groom your puppy.
- Chihuahua is small in size and owners find it difficult to handle Chihuahua in the bathtub so it is better to place the puppy on the clean skin. Smaller space gives more ease to hold the puppy.
- Water should be moderate neither too cold nor too hot. Check the temperature of water to ensure.
- Avoid using shampoos and conditioners made for humans because canine products have a different pH level.
- Non-slip mat is a better option to avoid slipping of Chihuahua.
- Rinse well your puppy because a minor soapy residue can damage the skin or fur of the Chihuahua.
- Ready the towel for the puppy. It should be warm, soft and absorbent.
Keep eyes clean: Usually, dogs have a little discharge from eyes whole day that should be cleaned by damp, soft and canine eye wipe.
Nail trimming: After 3 months, you need to trim the nails of the Chihuahua. If you do not trim the nails timely then it may cause severe issues that include discomfort, irregular gait that may cause skeletal damage and ingrown nails.